[ClusterLabs] Trying to understand dampening (ping)

martin doc db1280 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:01:18 EDT 2021

In the ping resource script, there's support for "dampen" in the use of attrd_updater.

My expectation is that it will cause "ping", "no-ping", "ping" to result in the service being continually presented as up rather than to flap about.

In testing I can't demonstrate this, even using attrd_updater directly.

To test out how attrd_updater works, I wrote a small script to do this:

attrd_updater -n my_ping -D
attrd_updater -n my_ping -p -B 1000 -d 3s
sleep 1
for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do
attrd_updater -n my_ping -Q
sleep 1
attrd_updater -n my_ping -p -U 0 -d 3s
done

The output always has the first line as 1000 and every other line with a valud of "0" - as if there was no dampening actually happening.

Even if I modify the above to do -U 1000, -U 0, -U 1000, doing -Q at any point always shows the last value supplied, with no evidence of any smoothng as a result of dampening.

Is the problem here that the -Q doesn't retrieve the value for my_ping using the same method as is used for resource scripts?

Am I totally misunderstanding how dampening works?

Thanks.