[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Total resources limitation

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Nov 17 03:15:38 EST 2020

Nachricht <b810bcd3-4d9f-06dc-8f95-409b33e9d492 at seko.com>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> is there's any kind of limitation in the total number of resources that
> a cluster can manage?
>
> The question arises, since the cluster itself is limited to 16 nodes
> (real ones I mean) because of the underlying IPC protocol from what I
> understood.

Hi!

 I think in theory there are none (i.e. a few thousand probably), but think that your resources may need any of (IP-Adress, NIC, Port, block-device, filesystem, CPU, memory, etc.). So the OS may impose limits on your resources. Despite of that the CIB being XML will become (I claim) "linearly inefficient with size of the CIB". The other think is cluster communication. A huge CIB will probably saturate the network at some point.

Of course that is just my opinion on things; maybe true experts can explain much better.

Regards,
Ulrich