[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: fencing on iscsi device not working

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 13:33:16 EST 2019

On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 07:43 +0000, Roger Zhou wrote:

> On 11/7/19 1:55 AM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> > > Good idea; I edited it so that the default and description are
> > > combined:
> > >
> > > How to determine which machines are controlled by the device.
> > > Allowed
> > > values:
> > >
> > > * +static-list:+ check the +pcmk_host_list+ or +pcmk_host_map+
> > > attribute (this is the default if either one of those is set)
> > >
> > > * +dynamic-list:+ query the device via the "list" command (this
> > > is
> > > otherwise the default if the fence device supports the list
> > > action)
> > >

> > Oops, now it became even more ambiguous. What if both
> > pcmk_host_list is
> > set *and* device supports "list" (or "status") command? Previous
> > variant
> > at least was explicit about precedence.
> >
> > "Otherwise" above is hard to attribute correctly. I really like
> > previous
> > version more.
>
> +1
>
> plus 2 cents:
>
> I feel confused between Default and Assigned value if combine them
> in
> the description as above. I prefer to keep them separate.
>
> I guest Ken might want to keep Pacemaker_Explained DOC more readable
> at
> the end of the day, ie. to avoid too many words in Default column
> [1].
> For that, might be we can do differently, like the mockup [2].
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/blob/d863971b7e0c56fbe6cc12815348e8e39b2e25c4/doc/Pacemaker_Explained/en-US/Ch-Fencing.txt#L182
>
> [2]
>
> > pcmk_host_check
> > string
> > +NOTE+
>
> a|How to determine which machines are controlled by the device.
>
> * +NOTE:+
>   The default value is static-list if either +pcmk_host_list+ or
> +pcmk_host_map+ is set,
>   otherwise dynamic-list if the fence device supports the list
> action,
>   otherwise status if the fence device supports the status action,
>   otherwise none.
>
>   Allowed values:
>
> * +dynamic-list:+ query the device via the "list" command
> * +static-list:+ check the +pcmk_host_list+ or +pcmk_host_map+
> attribute
> * +status:+ query the device via the "status" command
> * +none:+ assume every device can fence every machine

Elaborating on that approach, how about:

Default: "The value appropriate to other configuration options and
device capabilities (see note below)"

Description unchanged

Note: "The default value for +pcmk_host_check+ is +static-list+ if
either +pcmk_host_list+ or +pcmk_host_map+ is configured. If neither of
those are configured, the default is +dynamic-list+ if the fence device
supports the list action, or +status+ if the fence device supports the
status action but not the list action. If none of those conditions
apply, the default is +none+."