[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: fencing on iscsi device not working

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Nov 7 05:23:01 EST 2019

Nachricht <61fd4941-05ec-28ef-2fc8-4177b20abc2d at gmail.com>:

>>> I'd make that an itemized list with four items. I thinks it would be
>>> easer to
>>> understand.
>>
>> Good idea; I edited it so that the default and description are
>> combined:
>>
>> How to determine which machines are controlled by the device. Allowed
>> values:
>>
>> * +static-list:+ check the +pcmk_host_list+ or +pcmk_host_map+
>> attribute (this is the default if either one of those is set)
>>
>> * +dynamic-list:+ query the device via the "list" command (this is
>> otherwise the default if the fence device supports the list action)
>>

> Oops, now it became even more ambiguous. What if both pcmk_host_list is
> set *and* device supports "list" (or "status") command? Previous variant
> at least was explicit about precedence.
>
> "Otherwise" above is hard to attribute correctly. I really like previous
> version more.

The original was the attempt to phrase a nested "if..then..[else if...]*" as
plain English. While it maps directly to the code, such sentences are very hard
to understand (maybe that's why even C needs braces). But at the end the
itemized version clearly showed that the logic is everything but simple. So the
version did ist job showing that ;-)

IMHO the next step is not to revert the desription, but to clean up the logic
of the code ;-)