[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: resource location preference vs utilization

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Jul 16 10:03:01 EDT 2019

<87k1cixgii.fsf_-_ at lant.ki.iif.hu>:
> "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni‑regensburg.de> writes:
>
>> <wferi at niif.hu> schrieb am 15.07.2019 um 18:41 in Nachricht
> <87o91vp7vv.fsf at lant.ki.iif.hu>:
>>
>>> In a mostly symmetrical cluster I've got a couple of resources which
>>> should only ever run on a subset of the nodes if possible.  However,
>>> utilization constraints seem to prevent optimal resource allocation in
>>> some cases: Pacemaker does not migrate other resources to make room for
>>> the picky resources on their preferred nodes.  Is there a way around
>>> this?  The score differences are way above the resource stickiness, and
>>> as soon as I manually move enough indifferent resources away from the
>>> distinguished nodes, Pacemaker indeed migrates the picky resources over
>>> to them.  Can I configure it to also make room automatically by moving
>>> other resources as necessary, making this process fully automatic?
>>
>> Maybe show your config in greater detail...
>
> I'd like to keep the XML level low until I get confirmation that what
> I'm after is actually supported.  My configuration is very simple but
> extensive, and has the basic elements in place: I can see the scores and
> utilization values in the crm_simulate output.  I have priorities set up
> as well, but all resources are running, so that shouldn't matter as far
> as I understand it.  Maybe I miss a setting to enable such behavior...

What about this?: Use a dummy resource that allocates all the resources for
your picky resources, without actually needing them. Then add colocation for
your picky resouurces on the dummy resource (your picky resources shouldn't
have extra utilization because of that trick), and add negative colocation to
the dummy resource for the other resources.