[ClusterLabs] Two-node cluster fencing

Casey & Gina Shobe caseyandgina at icloud.com
Sat May 12 18:51:05 UTC 2018

Without fencing, if the primary is powered off abruptly (e.g. if one of your ESX servers crashes), the standby will not become primary, and you will need to promote it manually.  We had exactly this scenario happen last week with a 2-node cluster.  Without fencing, you don't have high availability.  If you don't need high availability, you probably don't need pacemaker.

There are instructions for setting up fencing with vmware here:  https://www.hastexo.com/resources/hints-and-kinks/fencing-vmware-virtualized-pacemaker-nodes/

One note - rather than the SDK, I believe you actually need the CLI package, which can be found here:  https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VCLI600&productId=491

Good luck - I haven't managed to get it to build yet - vmware gives you a black box installer script that compiles a bunch of dependent perl modules, and it ends up getting hung with 100% CPU usage for days - digging into this further with lsof and friends, it seems to be prompting for where your apache source code is to compile mod_perl.  Why does it need mod_perl for the CLI??  Anyways, I haven't managed to get past that roadblock yet.  I'm using Ubuntu 16 so it may happen to just work better on your RHEL instances.  If you have a different ESX version than 6.0, you may have better luck as well.

Best wishes,
--
Casey