[ClusterLabs] Two-node cluster fencing

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon May 14 15:04:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-05-12 at 12:51 -0600, Casey & Gina Shobe wrote:
> Without fencing, if the primary is powered off abruptly (e.g. if one
> of your ESX servers crashes), the standby will not become primary,
> and you will need to promote it manually.  We had exactly this
> scenario happen last week with a 2-node cluster.  Without fencing,
> you don't have high availability.  If you don't need high
> availability, you probably don't need pacemaker.

To go into this a bit more, the reason it's not safe to operate without
fencing is the situation where the active node still has the IP, but
has stopped responding for whatever reason (crippling load, failed
disk, flaky network card, etc.). If the passive node brought up the IP
in this case without first fencing the active node, both VMs would
advertise the IP, and packets would (practically speaking) randomly go
to one or the other, making any sort of communication impossible.