[ClusterLabs] fence-agents-all missing some agents

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 06:13:35 EST 2018

On 01/02/18 01:59 -0500, Digimer wrote:
> On RHEL 7 (and possible elsewhere), 'fence-agents-all' doesn't install
> the following;
>
> fence-agents-virsh.x86_64      4.0.11-66.el7_4.3              updates
> fence-sanlock.x86_64           3.5.0-1.el7                    base
> fence-virtd.x86_64             0.3.2-12.el7                   base
> fence-virtd-libvirt.x86_64     0.3.2-12.el7                   base
> fence-virtd-multicast.x86_64   0.3.2-12.el7                   base
> fence-virtd-serial.x86_64      0.3.2-12.el7                   base
> fence-virtd-tcp.x86_64         0.3.2-12.el7                   base
>
> Is this intentional?

TL;DR:
you're better off picking precisely the agents you want to use there.

I am a bit hazy on the history, but it occurs to me that previously,
fence-agents project was shipped just as eponymous RPM package,
which evolved to per-agent split packaging (reducing the amount of
dependencies necessarily installed, which is always a plus) and
fence-agents-all was dedicated as a catch-all alias for those
preferring en masse approach (this package also carries "fence-agents"
virtual Provides to allow compatibility with the former one).

That fence-virt (likewise from a separate project) is covered is more
an exception from that rule, perhaps a bit questionable but that goes
on for years already.  On the other hand, let's make it clear that
fence-virtd* packages are intended _only_ for the host-side of the
virtualized/guest nodes setup -- service where the cluster-wide
fence-virt (-xvm) agents connect so as to initiate fencing act,
subsequently delegated to the hypervisor, therefore those packages
contain no actual fence agents and the name just coincides with
the parent project, fence-virt.

So yes, except for -virsh (which seems to be omitted intentionally
from the prime-time), it appears pretty much intentional that --
despite the name -- fence-agents-all package only resolves to
self-hosted sibling packages for actual agents, not grabbing any other
that are outside of the scope of that project (naturally, some agents
tightly integrated to the full-fledge software pieces, as in sanlock
case, have release cycles etc. aligned with their respective bases).

Hope this helps.

--
Jan (Poki)