[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Never join a list without a problem...

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Mar 3 07:04:22 UTC 2017

>>> Jeffrey Westgate <Jeffrey.Westgate at arkansas.gov> schrieb am 02.03.2017 um
17:32
in Nachricht
<A36B14FA9AA67F4E836C0EE59DEA89C4015B212CD5 at CM-SAS-MBX-07.sas.arkgov.net>:
> Since we have both pieces of the load-balanced cluster doing the same thing
-
> for still-as-yet unidentified reasons - we've put atop on one and sysdig on
the
> other.  Running atop at 10 second slices, hoping it will catch something.
> While configuring it yesterday, that server went into it's 'episode', but
> there was nothing in the atop log to show anything.  Nothing else changed
> except the cpu load average.  No increase in any other parameter.
>
> frustrating.

Hi!

You could try the monit-approach (I could provide an RPM with a
"recent-enough" monit compiled for SLES11 SP4 (x86-64) if you need it).

The part that monitors unusual load looks like this here:
  check system host.domain.org
    if loadavg (1min) > 8 then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    if loadavg (5min) > 4 then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    if loadavg (15min) > 2 then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    if memory usage > 90% for 2 cycles then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    if swap usage > 25% for 2 cycles then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    if swap usage > 50% then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    if cpu usage > 99% for 15 cycles then alert
    if cpu usage (user) > 90% for 30 cycles then alert
    if cpu usage (system) > 20% for 2 cycles then exec
"/var/lib/monit/log-top.s
h"
    if cpu usage (wait) > 80% then exec "/var/lib/monit/log-top.sh"
    group local
### all numbers are a matter of taste ;-)
And my script (in lack of better ideas) looks like this:
#!/bin/sh
{
    /usr/bin/mpstat
    echo "---"