[ClusterLabs] Retries before setting fail-count to INFINITY

Vaibhaw Pandey vabu.vayu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 08:58:38 EDT 2017

Version in use: 1.1 along with corosync 1.4

Hello,
I am new to pacemaker and was trying to setup a MySQL master/slave cluster
using pacemaker and had a question on resource failure response which I
couldn't resolve from the documentation.

The pacemaker doc (
https://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained/_failure_response.html)
says clearly that:

"Normally, if a running resource fails, pacemaker will try to stop it and
start it again."

I was wondering if there is a way to configure the # of times pacemaker
will attempt this start and stop sequence - we want to try and restart the
resource 2 or 3 times before it is stopped. Obviously setting a
migration-threshold doesn't work in this case because the moment the 1st
attempt to restart the resource fails, fail-count is set to INFINITY. Our
failure-timeout is set to default (0).

The reason we wish to do this is that, at times the database is busy and
the monitor action fails. However there is a good chance it might succeed
on a second or third attempt.

Is there a parameter in pacemaker that we can utilize to cause this
behavior or will this have to be coded in the resource agent?

Thanks,
Vaibhaw