[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker documentation license clarification

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Dec 11 14:01:58 EST 2015

On 12/11/2015 10:07 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're packaging Pacemaker for Debian and this requires a clear picture
> of all licenses relevant to the package.  The software part is clearly
> under GPL-2+ and LGPL-2+, which is fine.  However, the "Legal Notice"
> section of the generated Publican documentation (for example
> Pacemaker_Explained/desktop/en-US/index.html) says that the material may
> only be distributed under GFDL-1.2+.  Since there are no invariant
> sections, this would be workable (if inconvenient), but I suspect that
> this difference might be unintended, just the implicit Publican default
> surfacing in the lack of explicit configuration.
>
> Could the authors (preferably the primary author, Andrew Beekhof) please
> give a definitive statement about the intended license of the
> Clusters_from_Scratch, Pacemaker_Explained and Pacemaker_Remote books?

This is an artifact of how you're building the documentation. Easy to
miss given the makefile complexity :)

If you look at the generated versions on clusterlabs.org, they have the
correct license (CC-BY-SA), e.g.:

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-pcs/html/Pacemaker_Explained/index.html

However if you do not "make brand" before building the documentation,
you will get the publican defaults.