[Pacemaker] Pacemaker cant start CTDB

Tim Serong tserong at novell.com
Fri Jul 2 07:20:44 EDT 2010

On 7/2/2010 at 02:02 AM, "Justin Shafer" <justinshafer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have noticed that corosync cant start CTDB in Fedora and Ubuntu. It will
> work in SLES11 after installing samba-winbind. Going through the logs.
> sometimes it cant get a recovery lock (filesystem related I know).. but
> other times I have tried it can get a recovery lock.

Possibly the CTDB RA is hitting its start timeout before CTDB has
stabilized (which includes some recovery lock fiddling).  Try increasing
the timeout (crm configure ... op start timeout="...") for your CTDB
resource.  If that doesn't work, have a look at the CTDB RA itself, about
line 359: change "seq 30" to something higher (probably we need to make
this configurable).

> and once it does it stops the monitoring and stops winbind and shuts down.

Does it say why?  You probably want /var/log/ctdb/log.ctdb and
/var/log/samba/log.{smbd,winbindd}...

> It was doing this with SLES 11 until I added samba-winbind, so I am just
> guessing it cant find smb, nmb and winbind on Ubuntu and Fedora but its just
> a guess..

Hard to say without seeing logs, but I'm guessing the CTDB RA is setting
CTDB_SERVICE_SMB, CTDB_SERVICE_NMB etc. incorrectly on those distros.
Please file a bug for this:

  http://developerbugs.linux-foundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Linux-HA

> In Suse it would start and then stop and never really say why in
> ctdb.log until I added winbind and then the logs showed it trying to start
> samba, etc. Too bad not all distros are the same in regards to smb, smbd,
> samba. I configured /etc/default/ctdb in ubunti and /etc/sysconfig/ctdb in
> fedora but no dice. Also I noticed that corosync doesn't rip out
> /etc/default/ctdb and replace it with its own like in SLES11.. at least
> Ubuntu isn't.

Curious.  It's *meant* to replace that file.  Anything interesting that you
can specify in that file should be specified using RA instance parameters.
For some notes on this, see:

  http://linux-ha.org/wiki/CTDB_%28resource_agent%29

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Serong <tserong at novell.com>
Senior Clustering Engineer, OPS Engineering, Novell Inc.