[Pacemaker] communication channels howto

Dan Frincu dfrincu at streamwide.ro
Fri Aug 27 02:36:20 EDT 2010

lxnf98mm at comcast.net wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, lxnf98mm at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Dan Frincu wrote:
>>
>>>  In OpenAIS for example, in /etc/ais/openais.conf you have a directive
>>>  called interface. In this directive you specify a ringnumber,
>>> bindnetaddr,
>>>  mcastaddr and mcastport. Configuring 2 communication channels means
>>> using
>>>  adding rrp_mode: passive, ringnumber 0 and ringnumber 1, two interface
>>>  directives in which you use different bindnetaddr IP addresses (ex:
>>>  10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, or whatever IP's you use, but preferably
>>> each IP
>>>  address should be assigned to a different network interface), two
>>>  different mcastaddr multicast groups (or mcastport, but I'd recommed
>>>  different mcastaddr's in the range of 239.x.x.x).
>>>
>>>  The principle behind it is if one communication channel (network
>>> card, IP
>>>  address connectivity, multicast group/port) fails, the other one is
>>> still
>>>  there for redundancy. I see this similar to the way ring network
>>>  topologies work, without the token.
>>>
>>>  Regards,
>>>  Dan.
>>>
>>>  p.s.: Andrew, nice to have you back, to paraphrase a famous quote "Mr.
>>>  Anderson. Welcome back, we missed you."
>>>

>> Thanks that helps a lot
>> Just one more thing
>> If two interfaces are configured are they both used equally
>>
>> Richard
>>

> I believe I can answer my own question
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/sle_ha/book_sleha/?page=/documentation/sle_ha/book_sleha/data/sec_ha_installation_setup.html
>

> Use the Redundant Ring Protocol (RRP) to tell the cluster how to use
> these interfaces. RRP can have three modes (rrp_mode): if set to
> active, Corosync uses all interfaces actively. If set to passive,
> Corosync uses the second interface only if the first ring fails.
>
> Richard

Also see http://linux.die.net/man/5/openais.conf

rrp_mode
    This specifies the mode of redundant ring, which may be none,
    active, or passive. Active replication offers slightly lower latency
    from transmit to delivery in faulty network environments but with
    less performance. Passive replication may nearly double the speed of
    the totem protocol if the protocol doesn't become cpu bound. The
    final option is none, in which case only one network interface will
    be used to operate the totem protocol.

    If only one interface directive is specified, none is automatically
    chosen. If multiple interface directives are specified, only active
    or passive may be chosen.

--
Dan FRINCU
Systems Engineer