[Pacemaker] communication channels howto

lxnf98mm at comcast.net lxnf98mm at comcast.net
Thu Aug 26 13:56:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, lxnf98mm at comcast.net wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Dan Frincu wrote:
>
>>  In OpenAIS for example, in /etc/ais/openais.conf you have a directive
>>  called interface. In this directive you specify a ringnumber, bindnetaddr,
>>  mcastaddr and mcastport. Configuring 2 communication channels means using
>>  adding rrp_mode: passive, ringnumber 0 and ringnumber 1, two interface
>>  directives in which you use different bindnetaddr IP addresses (ex:
>>  10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, or whatever IP's you use, but preferably each IP
>>  address should be assigned to a different network interface), two
>>  different mcastaddr multicast groups (or mcastport, but I'd recommed
>>  different mcastaddr's in the range of 239.x.x.x).
>>
>>  The principle behind it is if one communication channel (network card, IP
>>  address connectivity, multicast group/port) fails, the other one is still
>>  there for redundancy. I see this similar to the way ring network
>>  topologies work, without the token.
>>
>>  Regards,
>>  Dan.
>>
>>  p.s.: Andrew, nice to have you back, to paraphrase a famous quote "Mr.
>>  Anderson. Welcome back, we missed you."
>>

> Thanks that helps a lot
> Just one more thing
> If two interfaces are configured are they both used equally
>
> Richard

I believe I can answer my own question
http://www.novell.com/documentation/sle_ha/book_sleha/?page=/documentation/sle_ha/book_sleha/data/sec_ha_installation_setup.html

Use the Redundant Ring Protocol (RRP) to tell the cluster how to use these
interfaces. RRP can have three modes (rrp_mode): if set to active,
Corosync uses all interfaces actively. If set to passive, Corosync uses
the second interface only if the first ring fails.

Richard