[Pacemaker] Timeout, interval & onfail questions

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Sun Jul 10 06:53:57 EDT 2011

On 2011-07-10T00:50:45, Proskurin Kirill <k.proskurin at corp.mail.ru> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I trying to understand all logic of pacemaker and have some questions.
> 1) There is an interval and timeout of monitoring of resource.
> Situation:
> Interval is 20s, timeout is 60s.
>
> Monitoring action is started but node on load ant is it takes more
> than 20 sec to get the result - will second monitoring action start
> or pacemaker understand what he allready have one?

Yes. The interval is counted from completion of the previous op.

> 2) I wish to my resources are *never* go to fail status. I found
> on-fail="restart" option but it is not seems to work as I expected.
>
> So, for example, if some node under high LA and monitoring of
> resource is fail - pacemaker will try to run "stop" action but
> because of high LA it will timeout too and pacemaker decide what
> resource is "unmanaged". How can I tune this behaviour? I wish
> pacemaker not to give up and try again.

Repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting the result to
change is one of the clinical tests for irrational and insane behaviour.
So pacemaker doesn't do that. ;-) "stop" isn't supposed to fail, we
don't support retrying it, and will not.

Fix it so that it doesn't fail; if it fails due to a too short timeout,
make the timeout longer.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.