[ClusterLabs] Totems and Tokens and Kronosnet, oh my!

Jan Friesse jfriesse at redhat.com
Thu Jul 25 08:27:17 UTC 2024

On 24/07/2024 01:22, Mike Holloway via Users wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Writing up an article which is near ready to publish and I want to make sure the terms I seek to elaborate upon are as accurately conveyed as possible.
>
> To that end, my current task is to understand "totem" vs "token" and how this relates to

Quite user friendly description of Totem and Token is
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/corosync-and-redundant-rings/11627

the protocol for consensus in modern Corosync (Post-RHEL 6), as distinct
(if I grok) from the transport protocol "kronosnet".

kronosnet from corosync pov is "just" another transport protocol.
Corosync (historically) supported udp multicast, udp unicast and
infiniband for sending/receiving packet to/from wire. Kronosnet is used
same way - for sending/receiving packets.

> Could someone help me out by shedding light on the difference between the "token" in circulation, whether a "totem" concept of some sort is still valid, and how this all relates to modern Pacemaker-Corosync HA clusters?
There is really no difference from very high level of view.

Honza