[ClusterLabs] Recommendation Fencing

Angelo M Ruggiero angeloruggiero at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 15:12:51 UTC 2024

Hi,

Thanks for the previous replies. I am currently reading them.

Can i be cheeky i have been researching and having some other "organisation issues" around fencing.

Maybe it is possible to recommend what fencing and whether to use sbd with just watchdog or also with storage.  Or some pointers...

Here is my setup

2 Node,  with a Quorum Device

nodes run on vmware and RHEL 8+ there is vmware watch available (i even tried it out a bit)

Each node is a different site, but they are close i.e approx 15 km with a good connection (i work for a big bank in switzerland)

Application DB Shared storage is given via nfs mounting and available on both side. The shared storage can be used at both sites.

We want to run SAP with HANA the above setup and using pacemaker there are some restrictions around sbd and vmware but lets put that to one side just from a view of pacemaker what option i choose i have to make sure it is SAP Certified... Oh joy. 🙂

I see the following main options

Option 1. Just fence_vmware with no sbd at all

Option 2. Fence_vmware with sbd but just watchdog

Option 3. Fence_vmware with sbd, watchdog and share storage

The organisational issue is that the sbd shared storage is considered non standard, although we are setting up Oracle RAC which needs similar setup.

What i read around at sort of think is good is option 3 as it provide posion pill, self fencing

What i do not have clear in my head and what i will work on next week to work out the pros and cons and what situations can be handled.

I have discounted other fence agents as I am not sure they work on vmware, but happy to be  told other options.

Any input gratefully received.

regards
Angelo