[ClusterLabs] cluster with redundant links - PCSD offline

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 05:36:44 EST 2023

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 6:25 PM Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2023-02-26 at 18:15 +0100, lejeczek via Users wrote:
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > I have a simple 2-node cluster with redundant links and I wonder why
> > status reports like this:
> > Node List:
> >   * Node swir (1): online, feature set 3.16.2
> >   * Node whale (2): online, feature set 3.16.2
> > PCSD Status:
> >   swir: Online
> >   whale: Offline
> >
> > Cluster's config:
> > Nodes:
> >   swir:
> >     Link 0 address: 10.1.1.100
> >     Link 1 address: 10.3.1.100
> >     nodeid: 1
> >   whale:
> >     Link 0 address: 10.1.1.101
> >     Link 1 address: 10.3.1.101
> >     nodeid: 2
> >
> > Is that all normal for a cluster when 'Link 0' is down?
> > I thought redundant link(s) would be for that exact reason - so
> > cluster would remain fully operational.
> >
> > many thanks, L.
>
> If you're referring to the "Offline" under "PCSD Status", yes, that's
> normal. That only affects the pcsd daemon used to coordinate pcs
> commands across all nodes, not the cluster itself. As far as I know,
> pcsd has no way to use multiple links.

Well ... chicken and eggs ....

Idea of pcsd is to be a basis for setting up all the layers of the
cluster stack - so relying on the knet-layer would be an issue.

That said it would of course be interesting - once knet-layer or
whatever is setup - to be able to use redundancy for pcs.
Excuse my ignorance if there is something available already.
One thing that might be relatively easy to setup might be a
virtual ethernet-connection via knet. Haven't played with that
myself so others might be a better help to configure that - if
pcs doesn't already have support for such a setup.

Klaus