[ClusterLabs] QDevice not found after reboot but appears after cluster restart

john tillman johnt at panix.com
Thu Jul 28 16:58:09 EDT 2022

> On Thursday 28 July 2022 at 22:17:01, john tillman wrote:
>
>> I have a two cluster setup with a qdevice. 'pcs quorum status' from a
>> cluster node shows the qdevice casting a vote.  On the qdevice node
>> 'corosync-qnetd-tool -s' says I have 2 connected clients and 1 cluster.
>> The vote count looks correct when I shutdown either one of the cluster
>> nodes or the qdevice.  So the voting seems to be working at this point.
>
> Indeed - shutting down 1 of 3 nodes leaves quorum intact, therefore
> everything
> still awake knows what's going on.
>
>> From this state, if I reboot both my cluster nodes at the same time
>
> Ugh!
>
>> but leave the qdevice node running, the cluster will not see the qdevice
>> when the nodes come back up: 'pcs quorum status' show 3 votes expected
>> but
>> only 2 votes cast (from the cluster nodes).
>
> I would think this is to be expected, since if you reboot 2 out of 3
> nodes,
> you completely lose quorum, so the single node left has no idea what to
> trust
> when the other nodes return.

No, no.  I do have quorum after the reboots.  It is courtesy of the 2
cluster nodes casting their quorum votes.  However, the qdevice is not
casting a vote so I am down to 2 out of 3 nodes.

And the qdevice is not part of the cluster.  It will never have any
resources running on it.  Its job is just to vote.

-John