[ClusterLabs] Removing a resource without stopping it

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 16:54:51 EST 2022

On Fri, 2022-01-28 at 16:38 -0500, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I'm trying to figure out how to move a running VM from one
> pacemaker
> cluster to another. I've got the storage and VM live migration
> sorted,
> but having trouble with pacemaker.
>
>    I tried unmanaging the resource (the VM), then deleted the
> resource,
> and the node got fenced. So I am assuming it thought it couldn't
> stop
> the service so it self-fenced. In any case, can someone let me know
> what
> the proper procedure is?
>
>    Said more directly;
>
>    How to I delete a resource from pacemaker (via pcs on EL8)
> without
> stopping the resource?

Set the stop-orphan-resources cluster property to false (at least while
you move it)

The problem with your first approach is that once you remove the
resource configuration, which includes the is-managed setting,
Pacemaker no longer knows the resource is unmanaged. And even if you
set it via resource defaults or something, eventually you have to set
it back, at which point Pacemaker will still have the same response.