[ClusterLabs] Stonith external/ssh "device"?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at ha.open.source.it
Wed Dec 21 11:19:34 EST 2022

On Wednesday 21 December 2022 at 16:59:16, Antony Stone wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm implementing fencing on a 7-node cluster as described recently:
> https://lists.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2022-December/030714.html
>
> I'm using external/ssh for the time being, and it works if I test it using:
>
> stonith -t external/ssh -p "nodeA nodeB nodeC" -T reset nodeB
>

> However, when it's supposed to be invoked because a node has got stuck, I
> simply find syslog full of the following (one from each of the other six
> nodes in the cluster):
>
> pacemaker-fenced[3262]:   notice: Operation reboot of nodeB by <no-one> for
> pacemaker-controld.26852 at nodeA.93b391b2: No such device
>
> I have defined seven stonith resources, one for rebooting each machine, and
> I can see from "crm status" that they have been assigned randomly amongst
> the other servers, usually one per server, so that looks good.
>

> The main things that puzzle me about the log message are:
>
> a) why does it say "<no-one>"?  Is this more like "anyone", meaning that
> no- one in particular is required to do this task, provided that at least
> someone does it?  Does this indicate a configuration problem?

PS: I've just noticed that I'm also getting log entries immediately
afterwards:

pacemaker-controld[3264]:   notice: Peer nodeB was not terminated (reboot) by
<anyone> on behalf of pacemaker-controld.26852: No such device

--
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.