[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Inquiry - remote node fencing issue

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 03:58:09 EDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 10:30 AM Ulrich Windl
<Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Fencing _is_ a part of failover!

As any blanket answer this is mostly incorrect in this context.

There are two separate objects here - remote host itself and pacemaker
resource used to connect to and monitor state of remote host.

Remote host itself does not failover. Resources on this host do, but
OP does not ask about it.

Pacemaker resource used to monitor remote host may failover as any
other cluster resource. This failover does not require any fencing *of
remote host itself*, and in this particular case connection between
two cluster nodes was present all the time (at least, as long as we
can believe logs) so there was no reason for fencing as well. Whether
pacemaker should attempt to failover this resource to another node if
connection to remote host fails, is subject to discussion.

So fencing of the remote host itself is most certainly *not* part of
the failover of the resource that monitors this remote host.