[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Inquiry - remote node fencing issue

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Oct 28 03:30:25 EDT 2021

Fencing _is_ a part of failover!

>>> "Janghyuk Boo" <Janghyuk.Boo at ibm.com> schrieb am 26.10.2021 um 22:09 in
Nachricht
<OF6751AF09.DD2C657C-ON0025877A.006EA8CB-0025877A.006EB632 at ibm.com>:
Dear Community ,
Thank you Ken for your reply last time.
I attached the log messages as requested from the last thread.
I have a Pacemaker cluster with two cluster nodes with two network interfaces
each, and two remote nodes and a prototyped fencing agent(GPFS-Fence) to cut a
hosts access from the clustered filesystem.
I noticed that remote node gets fenced when the quorum node its connected to
gets fenced or experiences network failure.
For example, when I disconnected srv-2 from the rest of the cluster by using
iptables on srv-2
iptables -A INPUT -s [IP of srv-1] -j DROP ; iptables -A OUTPUT -s [IP of
srv-1] -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -s [IP of srv-3] -j DROP ; iptables -A OUTPUT -s [IP of
srv-3] -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -s [IP of srv-4] -j DROP ; iptables -A OUTPUT -s [IP of
srv-4] -j DROP
I expected that remote node jangcluster-srv-4 would failover to srv-1 given my
location constraints,
but remote node’s monitor ‘jangcluster-srv-4_monitor’ failed and srv-4 was
getting fenced before attempting to failover.
What would be the proper way to simulate the network failover?
How can I configure the cluster so that remote node srv-4 fails over instead
of getting fenced?