[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Coming in Pacemaker 2.1.2: new fencing configuration options

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Oct 8 14:16:22 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 08:18 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Nachricht
> <8bec6dc04c52d4ac5c2a8055eb7bae455f5a449d.camel at redhat.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We're looking ahead to the next Pacemaker release already. Even
> > though
> > we had a recent release for a regression fix, I want to get back to
> > the
> > goal of having a release before the holidays.
> >
> > The new release will have a couple of enhancements to fencing
> > configuration options.
> >
> > The existing pcmk_delay_base option lets you set a delay before a
> > fence
> > action will be attempted. This is often used on one device in a
> > 2‑node
> > cluster to help avoid a "death match".
>
> OK, could you summarize the situation in a 2-node cluster that leads
> to both
> nodes being fenced?

The classic situation is a network break, where the nodes are both
still up but can't see each other (but presumably can still access the
fence device, whether through an alternate network or something like a
serial cable)

> Also how long would such a delay be: Long enough until the other node
> is
> fenced, or long enough until the other node was fenced, booted
> (assuming it
> does) and is running pacemaker?

The delay should be on the less-preferred node, long enough for that
node to get fenced. The other node, with no delay, will fence it if it
can. If the other node is for whatever reason unable to fence, the node
with the delay will fence it after the delay.

> Does it make a difference whether the nodes are configured to do a
> power-off
> or reset, and or configured to automatically start pacemaker when
> booting or
> not.

It doesn't matter for the purposes of the delay

> It seems it makes no sense if the nodes power off on fence or do not
> start
> pacemaker when booting, but I could be wrong.

Some people like to investigate a node that had problems before
(manually) allowing it back in the cluster. It's a trade-off between
restoring redundancy as quickly as possible, vs not reintroducing the
same problem if it's not recoverable by a reboot (e.g. hardware
issues).