[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Inquiry - remote node fencing issue

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 18:20:56 EDT 2021

On Sat, 2021-10-30 at 21:17 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> > > Well ...
> > >
> > >     /* For remote nodes, ensure that any failure that results in
> > > dropping an
> > >
> > >      * active connection to the node results in fencing of the
> > > node.
> > >
> > >      *
> > >
> > >      * There are only two action failures that don't result in
> > > fencing.
> > >
> > >      * 1. probes - probe failures are expected.
> > >
> > >      * 2. start - a start failure indicates that an active
> > > connection
> > > does not already
> > >
> > >      * exist. The user can set op on-fail=fence if they really
> > > want
> > > fence start
> > >
> > >      * failures. */
> > >

> > > pacemaker will forcibly set on-fail=stop for remote resource.
> >
> > The default isn't any different, it's on-fail=restart.
> >
> > At that point in the code, on-fail is not what the user set (or
> > default), but how the result should be handled, taking into account
> > what the user set. E.g. if the result is success, then on-fail is
> > set
> > to ignore because nothing needs to be done, regardless of what the
> > configured on-fail is.
> >

> There are two issues discussed in this thread.
>
> 1. Remote node is fenced when connection with this node is lost. For
> all
> I can tell this is intended and expected behavior. That was the
> original
> question.

It's expected only because the connection can't be recovered elsewhere.
If another node can run the connection, pacemaker will try to reconnect
from there and re-probe everything to make sure what the current state
is.

> 2. Remote resource appears to not fail over. I cannot reproduce it,
> but
> then we also do not have the complete CIB, so something may affect
> it.
> OTOH logs shown stop before fencing has possibly succeeded, so may be
> remote resource *did* fail over.
>
> What I see is - connection to remote node is lost, pacemaker fences
> remote node and attempts to restart remote resource, if this is
> unsuccessful (meaning - connection still could not be established)
> remote resource fails over to another node.
>
> I do not know if it is possible to avoid fencing of remote node under
> described conditions.
>
> What is somewhat interesting (and looks like a bug) - in my testing
> pacemaker ignored failed fencing attempt and proceeded with
> restarting
> of remote resource. Is it expected behavior?

I don't see a failed fencing attempt (or any result of the fencing
attempt) in the logs in the original message, only failures of the
connection monitor.