[ClusterLabs] staggered resource start/stop

Reid Wahl nwahl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 30 02:43:19 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:32 PM Klaus Wenninger <kwenning at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 3/29/21 8:44 AM, d tbsky wrote:
> > Reid Wahl <nwahl at redhat.com>
> >> An order constraint set with kind=Serialize (which is mentioned in the
> first reply to the thread you linked) seems like the most logical option to
> me. You could serialize a set of resource sets, where each inner set
> contains a VirtualDomain resource and an ocf:heartbeat:Delay resource.
> >>
> >>   ⁠5.3.1. Ordering Properties (
> https://clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/2.0/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/index.html#idm46061192464416
> )
> >>   ⁠5.6. Ordering Sets of Resources (
> https://clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/2.0/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/index.html#s-resource-sets-ordering
> )
> >       thanks a lot! I don't know there is an official RA acting as
> > delay. that's interesting and useful to me.
> In this case it might be useful not to wait some defined time
> hoping startup of the VM would have gone far enough that
> the IO load has already decayed enough.

Agreed.

What about a resource that checks for something running
> inside the VM that indicates that startup has completed?
> Don't remember if the VirtualDomain RA might already
> have such a probe possibility.

Interestingly, you can add whatever you want to the monitor operation:

  monitor_scripts: To additionally monitor services within the virtual
domain, add this parameter with a list of scripts to monitor. Note: when
monitor scripts are used, the start and migrate_from operations
                   will complete only when all monitor scripts have
completed successfully. Be sure to set the timeout of these operations to
accommodate this delay.

> Klaus

Reid Wahl, RHCA
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer, Red Hat
CEE - Platform Support Delivery - ClusterHA