[ClusterLabs] Which fence agent is needed for an Apache web server cluster?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 01:23:04 EDT 2021

On 28.03.2021 02:42, Reid Wahl wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I had to tune the fence_ipmi recently on some older HPE blades. The
>> default settings were working, but also returning some output about
>> problems negotiating the cypher.
>> As that output could make future version of the fence agent go wild, I
>> tested several options untill no errors are reported. Maybe the cypher flag
>> was different, but I think it was '-c'. If I'm wrong , the author of this
>> thread can check the man page .

For the sake of archives - this is upper case 'C', not lower case, right?

>> Yes -> 'HandlePowerKey=ignore' . I have never expected ipmi to try
>> graceful shutdown when I tell it to 'press and hold' or 'cold boot', yet I
>> never checked the code of fence_ipmi.
>>

> fence_ipmilan uses ipmitool to send a poweroff signal. The iLO then sends a
> virtual power button press, which IIRC goes through ACPI. By default on
> RHEL 7 and above, if the system is responsive, systemd-logind handles a
> power key press by initiating a graceful shutdown. You have to disable it
> from handling the power key press so if you want hard-power-off behavior.

This is really a bug in iLO then. "ipmitool power off" is expected to
initiate hard power off; soft power off goes via "ipmitoo power soft".

Although I have seen with other vendor that "ipmitool power off" *also*
sent signal to OS and OS started shutdown which was then interrupted by
hard power off. Superficially (if you do not pay attention to console)
it looked like normal shutdown.