[ClusterLabs] Which fence agent is needed for an Apache web server cluster?

Reid Wahl nwahl at redhat.com
Sat Mar 27 19:42:35 EDT 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I had to tune the fence_ipmi recently on some older HPE blades. The
> default settings were working, but also returning some output about
> problems negotiating the cypher.
> As that output could make future version of the fence agent go wild, I
> tested several options untill no errors are reported. Maybe the cypher flag
> was different, but I think it was '-c'. If I'm wrong , the author of this
> thread can check the man page .
>
> Yes -> 'HandlePowerKey=ignore' . I have never expected ipmi to try
> graceful shutdown when I tell it to 'press and hold' or 'cold boot', yet I
> never checked the code of fence_ipmi.

fence_ipmilan uses ipmitool to send a poweroff signal. The iLO then sends a
virtual power button press, which IIRC goes through ACPI. By default on
RHEL 7 and above, if the system is responsive, systemd-logind handles a
power key press by initiating a graceful shutdown. You have to disable it
from handling the power key press so if you want hard-power-off behavior.