[ClusterLabs] pacemaker-2.0.x version support on “RHEL 7” OS

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 10:41:05 EST 2021

On Wed, 2021-03-10 at 07:15 +0000, S Sathish S wrote:
> Hi Ken/Team,
>
> We are using pacemaker software from Clusterlab upstream with version
> pacemaker 2.0.2 in our RHEL 7 system. So for fixing the CVE’s CVE-
> 2020-25654 we don’t want to downgrade to lower version of pacemaker
> 1.x hence we are trying to build latest pcs-0.10 version from
> upstream source has runtime dependencies for ruby 2.2.0+ which is not
> available in RHEL 7.x stream and getting compilation error , Please
> check and advise us whether pcs-0.10 is supported on RHEL 7.
>
> we also need to understand pacemaker1.x and pacemaker2.x clusterlab
> supporting term whether new feature/security fix/bug fix will be
> handled for both channels.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> S Sathish S

There's a distinction between commercial support (Red
Hat/SUSE/Ubuntu/etc.) and ClusterLabs support. Commercial support is
much more extensive; when ClusterLabs says an OS is supported, it's
basically just that the software can build and run regression tests
successfully when all dependencies are present.

Commercial support will generally handle building, dependencies,
security fixes, etc., for you, but limit you to a particular version
they choose. With ClusterLabs support, you can run whatever version you
want, but you're on your own as far as getting all dependencies working
in your environment and so forth.

ClusterLabs supports only the most current release of active Pacemaker
series. Rolling upgrades from certain older releases are also
supported.

ClusterLabs support for the Pacemaker 1 series ended with the 1.1.24
release. All Pacemaker 1 releases supported rolling upgrades from 1.0.0
or later.

There is no set time frame for how long the Pacemaker 2 series will be
supported. All Pacemaker 2 releases will support rolling upgrades from
1.1.11 or later and 2.0.0 or later.

There is no formal plan for Pacemaker 3 yet, but it will likely support
rolling upgrades from 2.0.0 or later, with the exception of dropping
support for Upstart. There may or may not be some time when both
Pacemaker 2 and 3 releases are being made and supported.