[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Re: Our 2-Node Cluster with a Separate Qdevice Went Down Anyway?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Mar 1 02:15:59 EST 2021

>>> Eric Robinson <eric.robinson at psmnv.com> schrieb am 26.02.2021 um 18:23 in
Nachricht
<SA2PR03MB58840FB93671D215133499D5FA9D9 at SA2PR03MB5884.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>

configured?

> 2‑node with a separate qdevice. No fencing.

Maybe the docs should add that: "There always is some type of fencing." It
seems you chose the "ring the admin out of from bed" type of fencing, where the
admin has to fix the problems manually. Personally I prefer another type of
fencing ;-)

>> Quorum is a useful tool when things are working properly, but it doesn't
> help
>> when things enter an undefined / unexpected state.
>> When that happens, stonith saves you. So said another way, you must have
>> stonith for a stable cluster, quorum is optional.
>>

> In this case, if fencing was enabled, which node would have fenced the
> other? Would they have gotten into a STONITH war?

Maybe, bu teven if both nodes were fenced and restarted, there is a proability
that they would start up again when the problem did not persist. If the problem
preventing the cluster from running did persist, it would not make a big
difference if the nodes continued to shott each other or not. Actually we never
had a STONITH war.

> More importantly, why did the failure of resource p_mysql_622 keep the whole

> cluster from recovering? As soon as I did 'pcs resource cleanup p_mysql_622'

> all the other resources recovered, but none of them are dependent on that
> resource.

Lack of STONITH. Actually for SLES a cluster without working STONITH is
unsupported.

Regards,
Ulrich