[ClusterLabs] One Failed Resource = Failover the Cluster?

Eric Robinson eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Fri Jun 4 15:10:30 EDT 2021

Sometimes it seems like Pacemaker fails over an entire cluster when only one resource has failed, even though no other resources are dependent on it. Is that expected behavior?

For example, suppose I have the following colocation constraints...

filesystem with drbd master
vip with filesystem
mysql_01 with filesystem
mysql_02 with filesystem
mysql_03 with filesystem

...and the following order constraints...

promote drbd, then start filesystem
start filesystem, then start vip
start filesystem, then start mysql_01
start filesystem, then start mysql_02
start filesystem, then start mysql_03

Now, if something goes wrong with mysql_02, will Pacemaker try to fail over the whole cluster? And if mysql_02 can't be run on either cluster, then does Pacemaker refuse to run any resources?

I'm asking because I've seen some odd behavior like that over the years. Could be my own configuration mistakes, of course.

-Eric

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.