[ClusterLabs] [EXT] Re: Two node cluster without fencing and no split brain?

john tillman johnt at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 11:30:35 EDT 2021

Interesting read.  Thank you for providing it!

In this follow up post
https://techthoughts.typepad.com/managing_computers/2007/10/more-about-quor.html
the author mentions the following:

Ping tiebreaker

Some HA systems provide  a ping tiebreaker.  To make this work, you pick a
address outside the cluster to ping, and any partition that can ping that
address has quorum.  The obvious advantage is that it's very simple to set
up - doesn't require any additional servers or shared disk.  The
disadvantage (and it's a big one) is that it's very possible for multiple
partitions to think they have quorum.  In the case of split-site (disaster
recovery) type clusters, it's going to happen fairly often.  If you can
use this method for a single site in conjunction with fencing, then it
will likely work out quite well.  It's a lot better than no tiebreaker, or
one that always says "you have quorum".  Having said that, it's
significantly inferior to any of the other methods.

The quote "It's a lot better than no tiebreaker..." is what I am looking
for.  Is there something like a "ping tiebreaker" in the current world of
pacemaker/corosync?

Thanks to all those who have already commented on my question.  I
appreciate the input/education.

Best Regards,
-John