[ClusterLabs] Two node cluster without fencing and no split brain?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 05:18:23 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101 at fjrhome.net> wrote:

> OpenVMS can do this sort of thing without a requirement for fencing (you
> still need a third disk as a quorum device in a 2-node cluster), but
> Linux (at least in its current form) cannot. From what I can tell the
> fencing requirements in the Linux solution are mainly due to limitations
> of how deeply the clustering solution is integrated into the kernel.

This is a common misunderstanding. *All* cluster solutions use
fencing. Maybe they do not call it "fencing" and many cluster
solutions use self-fencing (suicide), but it does not change the basic
fact - cluster needs fencing.

Pacemaker supports self-fencing. It does not support arbitration using
SCSI reservations that you mean here. It is not related to "kernel
integration" at all - you can do arbitration completely in user space.
It is just that someone needs to implement it. Given that in the case
of shared storage there is already a solution - SBD - and SCSI
arbitration cannot be used without shared storage it is not clear what
will be gained by implementing it. Better would be to spend the
efforts improving pacemaker/sbd integration.

Arbitration fits more in corosync than stonith. Arbitration does not
kill other node - it decides which node remains in quorum and node
that lost commits suicide.