[ClusterLabs] Two node cluster without fencing and no split brain?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Jul 21 04:50:09 EDT 2021

OpenVMS can do this sort of thing without a requirement for fencing (you
still need a third disk as a quorum device in a 2-node cluster), but
Linux (at least in its current form) cannot. From what I can tell the
fencing requirements in the Linux solution are mainly due to limitations
of how deeply the clustering solution is integrated into the kernel.

There is an overview here:
https://sciinc.com/remotedba/techinfo/tech_presentations/Boot%20Camp%202013/Bootcamp_2013_Comparison%20of%20Red%20Hat%20Clusters%20with%20OpenVMS%20Clusters.pdf

I am wondering how much of what OpenVMS does could be integrated into
Linux in the future to simplify the HA clustering situation. This is one
thing OpenVMS currently does FAR better than any other platform I've
come across, so it is likely there is still much to be learned from it.