[ClusterLabs] Configuring millisecond timestamps in pacemaker.log.

Reid Wahl nwahl at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 15:19:54 EST 2021

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pacemaker doesn't currently support it, sorry. It should be pretty easy
> to add though (when built with libqb 2), so hopefully we can get it in
> 2.1.0.
>
> Of course Pacemaker has always supported logging via syslog, and syslog
> can be configured to use high-res timestamps, so that's a workaround.
>
> Does anyone have a strong opinion regarding using high-res timestamps
> in the Pacemaker detail log whenever supported, vs adding a new
> sysconfig option for it? I feel like we have a ridiculous number of
> options already, and the detail log is expected to be verbose.

Not a **strong** opinion, but I'm in favor of it as a member of the support
team. If time is in sync across cluster nodes, then millisecond logs could
provide some clearer insight into some of the weirder timing issues that
I've shown you (e.g., involving CIB sync after a network issue).

> On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 19:12 +0000, Gerry R Sommerville wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am wondering if it is possible to configure high resolution
> > timestamps (including milliseconds) in the pacemaker.log? I was able
> > to get hi-res timestamps in the corosync.log by adding 'timestamp:
> > hires' under the logging directive in corosync.conf. I was hoping
> > Pacemaker has something similar but I don't see anything in
> > '/etc/sysconfig/pacemaker' or the Pacemaker documentation regarding
> > hi-res timestamps.
> >
> > Gerry Sommerville
> > Db2 Development, pureScale Domain
> > E-mail: gerry at ca.ibm.com
> --
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com>

Reid Wahl, RHCA
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer, Red Hat
CEE - Platform Support Delivery - ClusterHA