[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Autostart/Enabling of Pacemaker and corosync

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Apr 27 02:42:06 EDT 2021

>>> "Moneta, Howard" <Howard.Moneta at csaa.com> schrieb am 26.04.2021 um 19:04 in
Nachricht
<BYAPR05MB4711CEAAA3876EB26DD703DF90429 at BYAPR05MB4711.namprd05.prod.outlook.com>

> Hello community.  I have read that it is not recommended to set Pacemaker and
> corosync to enabled/auto start on the nodes.  Is this how people have it

I think it's basically about your sleep at night or at weekends:
If the cluster can manage a problem without requiring your intervention, that's good (for your sleep).
In practice there had been many situations when both nodes in a 2-node cluster did fence.
So without auto-starting the cluster nodes after boot, you clearly have a "no sleep" situation; specifically if your cluster provides services for more external machines.

> configured? If a computer restarts unexpectedly, is it better to manually
> investigate first or allow the node to come back online and rejoin the
> cluster automaticly in order to minimize downtime?  If the auto start is not
> enabled, how do you handle patching?  I'm using Pacemaker with PAF,
> PostgreSQL Automatic Failover. I had thought to follow the published guidance
> and not set those processes to enabled but other coworkers are resisting and
> saying that the systems should be configured to recover by themselves around
> patching or even a temporary unplanned network/virtualization glitch.

I think there is no "one size fits all" solution: Both variants have advantages and disadvantages.

Regards,
Ulrich