[ClusterLabs] Adding node in existing cluster pcs constraint not setting properly

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri May 15 18:12:31 EDT 2020

On Thu, 2020-05-14 at 08:41 +0000, S Sathish S wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Recently during installation at the customer environments we came
>  across an issue where o/p of "pcs status" of the node to be added in
> the cluster was as follows:
>
> Command triggered at NodeC
>
> # sudo pcs status
> Cluster name: XXX
>
> WARNINGS:
> No stonith devices and stonith-enabled is not false
>
> Stack: corosync
> Current DC: NODE C (version 2.0.2-744a30d655) - partition WITHOUT
> quorum
> Last updated: Wed May 13 14:49:40 2020
> Last change: Wed May 13 14:39:04 2020 by hacluster via crmd on NODE C
>
> 3 nodes configured
> 0 resources configured
>
> Node A: UNCLEAN (offline)
> Node B: UNCLEAN (offline)
> Online: [ NODE C ]
>
> No resources
>
>   Daemon Status:
>   corosync: active/enabled
>   pacemaker: active/enabled
>   pcsd: active/enabled
>
> Problem Statement: Node A and B were the nodes that have already
> formed a cluster and Node C was the node that had to be added as a
> new member into the cluster. The above output was fetched from NodeC.
>
> The authorization and addition of NodeC in our case is done from
> NodeB.
>
> On TroubleShooting we found that the necessary pcs constraints
> stonith setting did not get set for NodeC and hence the above
> reported warning was seen.

Actually the above output indicates that node C couldn't communicate
with nodes A or B at the corosync level, so it's starting with an empty
configuration.

There's some communication problem such as a firewall or networking
issue.

> In our project from the start, we configure the resources and set the
> necessary pcs constraints stonith setting of the new node(NodeC) will
> be triggered from existing cluster (NodeB).
>
> Once the authorization is complete is it the right procedure to set
> the constraints of NodeC in NodeB (or)  the constraints need to be
> set at NodeC itself.
>
> Kindly let us know if we have followed the right procedure. If not,
> kindly suggest an alternative.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> S Sathish S

Configuration can be done from any node and will be sync'd to all
nodes, but the nodes have to form a corosync membership first.