[ClusterLabs] Question about IPaddr2 & redis heartbeat, do they coordinate?

steven prothero steven at marimo-tech.com
Thu Feb 13 22:09:39 EST 2020

Greetings,

Hello, I am new to pacemaker and learning much from the online
documentation, searching on google, etc but have a specific question I
am not sure about...

My setup is two servers and the focus is redis.

We use the heartbeat/IPaddr2 to update the VIP as needed, and the
redis heartbeat to manage who is redis master...  Everything seems to
work nicely.

The boss requested I change the system to have Redis work first, if
trouble switch & shutdown etc and then the VIP will switch after. How
would one heartbeat wait for the other to finish? Is that a bad/good
idea?

As I am learning this all, from what I understand I think the two
heartbeats are running in parallel and not coordinating together.
Perhaps the VIP is switched quickly while the redis switch takes
longer due to it negotiating a bit & dumping the database to disk and
then shutting down..?

I researched the "ordering" but I think that is more about what
services load in first so doesn't help me with this situation.

Appreciate very much any thoughts about this.

Cheers

Steve