[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Stonith failing

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Aug 18 03:10:07 EDT 2020

>>> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> schrieb am 17.08.2020 um 17:19 in
Nachricht
<73d6ecf113098a3154a2e7db2e2a59557272024a.camel at redhat.com>:
> On Fri, 2020‑08‑14 at 15:09 +0200, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
>> Thanks to all your suggestions, I now have the systems with stonith
>> configured on ipmi.
>
> A word of caution: if the IPMI is on‑board ‑‑ i.e. it shares the same
> power supply as the computer ‑‑ power becomes a single point of
> failure. If the node loses power, the other node can't fence because
> the IPMI is also down, and the cluster can't recover.

This may not always be true: We had servers with three(!) power supplies and a
BMC (what today is called "light-out management"). You could "power down" the
server, while the BMC was still operational (and thus could "power up" the
server again).
With standard PC architecture these days things seem to be a bit more
compicated (meaning "primitive")...