[ClusterLabs] node utilization attributes are lost during upgrade

Kadlecsik József kadlecsik.jozsef at wigner.hu
Mon Aug 17 06:12:36 EDT 2020

Hello,

At upgrading a corosync/pacemaker/libvirt/KVM cluster from Debian stretch
to buster, all the node utilization attributes were erased from the
configuration. However, the same attributes were kept at the VirtualDomain
resources. This resulted that all resources with utilization attributes
were stopped.

The documentation says: "You can name utilization attributes according to
your preferences and define as many name/value pairs as your configuration
needs.", so one assumes utilization attributes are kept during upgrades,
for nodes and resources as well.

The corosync incompatibility made the upgrade more stressful anyway and
the stopping of the resources came out of the blue. The resources could
not be started of course - and there were no log warning/error messages
that the resources are not started because the utilization constrains
could not be satisfied. Pacemaker logs a lot (from admin point of view it
is too much), but in this case there was no indication why the resources
could not be started (or we were unable to find it in the logs?). So we
wasted a lot of time with debugging the VirtualDomain agent.

Currently we run the cluster with the placement-strategy set to default.

In my opinion node attributes should be kept and preserved during an
upgrade. Also, it should be logged when a resource must be stopped/cannot
be started because the utilization constrains cannot be satisfied.

Best regards,
Jozsef
E-mail : kadlecsik.jozsef at wigner.hu
PGP key: https://wigner.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: Wigner Research Centre for Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary