[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Question on sharing data with DRDB

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Mar 21 11:16:24 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-21 2:57 a.m., Ulrich Windl wrote:
> <38f790d0-4bb6-53b8-7eb4-b285ed14779d at alteeve.ca>:

>>> Would it be possible for DRBD to go into SplitBrain if the lost node
>>> manages to write something to local DRBD disk before it gets fenced?
>>
>> Not when DRBD is configured correctly. You sent 'fencing
>
> Are your really saying that dual-primary no longer needs operator intervention
> after a node crash?
> That's also split-brain to me if DRBD does not know how to recover after a
> link interruption.

Correct.

With proper fencing, automated recovery is not just possible, we've seen
it work in the field dozens of times over the last several years.

When there is a link interruption, IO blocks and a fence is called. When
the lost (or slower) node is fenced, only then does IO resume. No writes
happen during the period of no communication, so there is no split
brain. When the lost / fenced node does finally return, it knows it is
behind and pulls changes from the UpToDate peer.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of