[ClusterLabs] How to backup?

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 21:25:24 UTC 2018

On 26/11/18 09:10 +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> <46d2baf6-a03d-9aac-fceb-7bcffb3830dd at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> Do we have tools or maybe outside of the cluster suite there is a way to
>> backup cluster?
>>
>> I'm obviously talking about configuration so potentially cluster could
>> be restored if need be.
>
> Something like "crm configure show >>your_backup_file"? Here we
> create such a file hourly (with history) if the configuration had
> changed...

If that's indeed the questioned procedure[*] and it's pcs that
is a weapon of choice, there's clufter tool to achieve something
similar (see "clufter pcs2pcscmd" and derived, further
qualified subcommand thereof, or indirectly triggered with
"pcs config export pcs-commands").

[*] at the rawest level, the pacemaker cluster configuration
    is a set of:
    - static configuration bits of pacemaker's CIB (as opposed to
      dynamic ones/status)
    - messaging/quorum layer configuration (e.g. corosync.conf)
    - respective configuration of the name lookup in the
      environment (e.g. /etc/hosts or configuration of local
      DNS server + it's appointment in /etc/resolv.conf or
      at whichever authoritative location)
    - static prerequisites and possibly customized configuration
      for every and each employed resource unless fully configurable
      by the means of respective agents
    - other notable operating system level settings
      (firewall, watchdog kernel modules etc.)
    - physical node interconnect setup (or virtualized
      equivalent), incl. which network interfaces are
      available and how are they mapped in the topologies
    - "panned out wider picture arrangement" related
      configuration (e.g. when the cluster has its mirror peers
      in a booth formation)
    - ... (plethora of things I forgot to mention)
    You can see that it's really an open scoped term that
    could creep arbitrarily wide, but usually just two first
    points are subsumed, but that consequently means that's
    not something that would be easily portable/reproducible
    elsewhere in its entirety, but again, usually such backups
    would be for a local rollback/reinstating only (discretion
    in doing so is hopefully apparent).
    Just a thought experiment: for an isolated single machine,
    one can put the workload into the VM, freeze it and carry
    such a capsule as sort of a full-state backup, no problem
    -- good luck extrapolating this method to a cluster, but
    definitely would be an interesting project ;-)

--
Nazdar,
Jan (Poki)