[ClusterLabs] Antw: OCF Return codes OCF_NOT_RUNNING

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 10:19:52 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 13:44 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Nachricht
> <CAGu+cYgg4fFjDwXNK9JAB0gLWvVMBn2aaA4+dL6SAV7nmm2R=w at mail.gmail.com>:
> > im trying to understand the behaviour of pacemaker when a resource
> > monitor
> > returns OCF_NOT_RUNNING instead of OCF_ERR_GENERIC, and does
> > pacemaker
> > really care.
> >
> > The documentation states that a return code OCF_NOT_RUNNING from a
> > monitor
> > will not result in a stop being called on that resource, as it
> > believes the
> > node is still clean.
> >
> > https://www.clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/
> > Pacemaker
> > _Explained/s-ocf-return-codes.html
> >
> > This makes sense, however in practice is not what happens (unless
> > im doing
> > something wrong :) )
> >
> > When my resource returns OCF_NOT_RUNNING for a monitor call (after
> > a start
> > has been performed) a stop is called.
>
> Well: it depends: If your start was successful, pacemaker believes
> the resource is running. If the monitor says it's stopped, pacemaker
> seems to try a "clean stop" by calling the stop method (possibly
> before trying to start it again). Am I right?

Yes, I think the documentation is wrong. It depends on what state the
cluster thinks the resource is supposed to be in. If the cluster
expects the resource is already stopped (for example, when doing a
probe), then "not running" will not result in a stop. If the cluster
expects the resource to be running (for example, when doing a normal
recurring monitor), then the documentation is incorrect, recovery
includes a stop then start.