[ClusterLabs] Feedback wanted: changing "master/slave" terminology

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Fri Jan 26 03:07:46 EST 2018

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 15:21:30 -0500
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> On 2018-01-25 01:28 PM, Ken Gaillot wrote:

> >> I don't want to push my preferences here, but I wanted to suggest
> >> that
> >> something that sounds a bit on now will sound normal over time.
> >>
> >> I will point out, though, that spell check doesn't complain about
> >> 'Binary' and 'Promotion'.
> >>
> >> If I can throw another suggestion in (without offering preference for
> >> it
> >> myself), 'dual-state clones'? The reasoning is that, though three
> >> words
> >> instead of two, spell-check likes it, it sounds OK on day one (from a
> >> language perspective) and it reflects that the clone has only one of
> >> two
> >> states.
> >
> > Or "dual-role".
> >
> > Binary/dual/multi all have the issue that all resources have multiple
> > states (stopped, started, etc.). Not a deal-breaker, but a factor to
> > consider.
> >
> > What we're trying to represent is: clone resources that have an
> > additional possible role that pacemaker manages via the promote/demote
> > actions.
> >
> > I go back and forth between options. "Multistate" would be OK,
> > especially since it's already used in some places. "Promotable" is
> > probably most accurate.
>
> If the thing only has two states; "dual-role" is perfect. If the thing
> can have 3+ states, "multistate" is perfect.

In 1.1.x, there is exactly three states: stopped, started, promoted.
In 1.1.x, there is exactly two roles: slave and master.

Using this terminology, "dual-role" would make sense. However, note that
"target-role" could be set to "Stopped", which is actually a state :/

If we pick "stopped", "started" and "promoted" as new terminology, there's no
more distinction between states and role. We only have three states. All RA
must implement the first two states "stopped" and "started". The cases where RA
is promotable should then be called..."promotable" I suppose.

However, why exactly should we find a terminology for RA implementing the
"promote" action? Should we find some new terminology for RA implementing
optional actions like "notify" ("notifiable") or "validate-all" ("validatable")
action as well? (ok, these are not roles, but I try to explain my point :))

Now the terminology is common using "stopped, started, promoted",
should we stop considering "multistate RA" as special cases? We could simply
explain RAs are implementing all or a subset of the actions/roles Pacemaker
offers and give documentation details related to roles properties, variables
and transitions, isn't it?

Considering the following documentation page, this would means merging chapters
10.2 and 10.3 inside chapter 5.

> "Promotable" is certainly accurate, but I have a (very mild) concern
> about how easily it is understood by non-native English speakers.
> Perhaps someone who speaks English as a second language could chime in
> on that?

"Promotable" sounds accurate to me (native french speaker).