[ClusterLabs] Feedback wanted: changing "master/slave" terminology

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jan 25 15:21:30 EST 2018

On 2018-01-25 01:28 PM, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-01-25 at 13:06 -0500, Digimer wrote:
>> On 2018-01-25 11:11 AM, Ken Gaillot wrote:

>>> Zeroing in on this question, which does everyone prefer:
>>>
>>> * "Binary clones" (in the sense of "one of two roles", but not very
>>> obvious)
>>>
>>> * "Stateful clones" (potentially confusing with anonymous vs unique
>>> clones, and all resources have state)
>>>
>>> * "Multistate clones" (less confusing with anonymous vs unique, and
>>> already in current use in documentation, but still all resources
>>> have
>>> multiple possible states)
>>>
>>> * "Promotable clones" (consistent with "promote" theme, but the
>>> word
>>> looks odd, and confusing with whether an individual instance is
>>> eligible to be promoted)
>>>
>>> * "Promotion clones" (also consistent, but sounds odd and not
>>> particularly obvious)
>>
>> I don't want to push my preferences here, but I wanted to suggest
>> that
>> something that sounds a bit on now will sound normal over time.
>>
>> I will point out, though, that spell check doesn't complain about
>> 'Binary' and 'Promotion'.
>>
>> If I can throw another suggestion in (without offering preference for
>> it
>> myself), 'dual-state clones'? The reasoning is that, though three
>> words
>> instead of two, spell-check likes it, it sounds OK on day one (from a
>> language perspective) and it reflects that the clone has only one of
>> two
>> states.
>
> Or "dual-role".
>
> Binary/dual/multi all have the issue that all resources have multiple
> states (stopped, started, etc.). Not a deal-breaker, but a factor to
> consider.
>
> What we're trying to represent is: clone resources that have an
> additional possible role that pacemaker manages via the promote/demote
> actions.
>
> I go back and forth between options. "Multistate" would be OK,
> especially since it's already used in some places. "Promotable" is
> probably most accurate.

If the thing only has two states; "dual-role" is perfect. If the thing
can have 3+ states, "multistate" is perfect.

"Promotable" is certainly accurate, but I have a (very mild) concern
about how easily it is understood by non-native English speakers.
Perhaps someone who speaks English as a second language could chime in
on that?

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of