[ClusterLabs] Speed up the resource moves in the case of a node hard shutdown

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Feb 13 11:24:41 EST 2018

On 2018-02-13 05:46 AM, Maxim wrote:
> 12.02.2018 19:31, Digimer пишет:
>> Without fencing, all bets are  off. Please enable it and see if the
>> issue remains
> Seems, i know [in theory] about the fencing ability and its importance
> (although I've never configured it so far).
> But i don't undestand how it would help in the situtions of the hard
> reboot/shutdown.

An availability cluster's job is to keep things running. To do this,
there must be coordination between the nodes (otherwise, just run things
everywhere and be done with it). Thus, when a node stops responding, it
is critical that the lost node be put into a known state.

If you allow assumptions to be made, you will eventually assume wrong.
That could have consequences as "minor" as confusing switches/routers to
as devastating as corrupted data.

Fencing is not meant to speed up recovery, it is critical to ensuring
recovery works at all.

This is a common confusion (and people often mistakenly think that
quorum is how you avoid this, which is incorrect). There is no
replacement for fencing; You need it in any availability system. Without
it, it is like driving without a seat-belt.

https://www.alteeve.com/w/The_2-Node_Myth