[ClusterLabs] Hunting for the bad cLVM Mirror Performance (mirror log)

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Jan 16 10:35:17 EST 2017

Hi!

(I had published some cLVM performance numbers / graphs before)

Being unhappy with cLVM's mirror performance, I've drilled down further: Seeing that a cLVM LV consists of several parts (visible from "dmsetup ls"):

CFS_VMs-xen: The LV (high level)
CFS_VMs-E3 (one leg's PV (on multipathed SAN storage))
CFS_VMs-E4 (the other leg's PV (on a different multipathed SAN storage))
CFS_VMs-xen_mimage_0 (the image of the LV on one leg (I guess))
CFS_VMs-xen_mimage_1 (the image of the LV on the other leg (I guess)
CFS_VMs-xen_mlog_mimage_0 (the mirror log's image on one leg (I guess))
CFS_VMs-xen_mlog_mimage_1 (the image of the mirror log on the other leg (I guess))
CFS_VMs-xen_mlog (the high-level mirror log)

So I used blockstats from sysfs to get the usage and performance numbers (in addition to the delay numbers I already had in the past).
According to the attachment one node (h01) shows the following performance numbers for the cLVM mirror log:
* Average 160 R+W operations per second
* Around 0.5s of wait time per second
* 0.3 secors/s read, 1ms/s read wait
* 14k sectors/s write, 0.5s/s write wait (about 250 sectors per request)

Compared to the activity on the mirror log is the activity on the data image:
* 20 sectors/s read + 0.3 sectors/s read
* 400 sectors/s write + 402 sectors/s write

That is about 4 time the amount of data written to the mirror log. That's quite inefficient of course. Can someone explain why that many data is written to the mirror log?
The LV is displayed as follows:
ph01:~ # lvs
  LV    VG      Attr      LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Move Log      Copy%  Convert
  xen   CFS_VMs mwi-aom-- 299.99g                         xen_mlog 100.00

h01:~ # lvdisplay -v CFS_VMs/xen
    Using logical volume(s) on command line
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/CFS_VMs/xen
  VG Name                CFS_VMs
  LV UUID                NZuubw-Avxe-mJ94-DSfD-adc4-z2bc-MmDkEk
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time ,
  LV Status              available
  # open                 2
  LV Size                299.99 GiB
  Current LE             76798
  Mirrored volumes       2
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     1024
  Block device           253:84

Our problem is not just that cLVM is slow, but the I/O load it creates on the SAN storage also makes other systems slow.
Using SLES11 SP4 with lvm2-clvm-2.02.98-0.42.3 (latest).

Regards,
Ulrich