[ClusterLabs] Antw: fence_vmware_soap: reads VM status but fails to reboot/on/off

Octavian Ciobanu coctavian1979 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 05:39:51 EDT 2017

Hello Ulrich,

Thank you for the reply.

Tested that and also the reset action fail with the same message.

I forgot to tell that the vm guests are centos 7.3 and they power off in
like 2 seconds, and a full reboot takes like 10 seconds.

Also in VMware I see the soap task for "get id for UUID" but the comand for
power is not there.

Regards
Octavian

On Aug 1, 2017 9:12 AM, "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de>
wrote:

>>> Octavian Ciobanu <coctavian1979 at gmail.com> schrieb am 31.07.2017 um
20:16 in
Nachricht
<CAGcVzHLb=6CLMTLP=Evzi=RXy13oZQ+RJzS5FtaYiwUgJW+K8w at mail.gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> Before I implement the cluster I'm testing the fence agents and I got
stuck
> at the rebooting the VMware based VMs.
>
> I have installed VMware ESXi 6.5 Hypervisor with 5 VMs.
>
> If I call :
>     # fence_vmware_soap --ssl --ip esxi_ip --username root --password pass
> --action list
> I get the list with the names and UUIDs of the VMs.
>
> If I call :
>     # fence_vmware_soap --ssl --ip esxi_ip --username root --password pass
> --action status --plug "564d5bce-3c55-2b02-1a8b-052c1fd24d6d"
> I get the status of the VM.
>
> But when I call any of the power actions (on, off, reboot) I get "Failed:
> Timed out waiting to power OFF".
>
> I've tried with all the combinations of --power-timeout and --power-wait
> and same error without any change in the response time.
>
> Any ideas from where or how to fix this issue ?

I suspect "power off" is actually a virtual press of the ACPI power button
(reboot likewise), so your VM tries to shut down cleanly. That could take
time, and it could hang (I guess). I don't use VMware, but maybe there's a
"reset" action that presses the virtual reset button of the virtual
hardware... ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org