[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: from where does the default value for start/stop op of a resource come ?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Aug 2 08:42:01 UTC 2017

Nachricht <87bmny74ka.fsf at suse.com>:

>>> One idea might be to have a new command which inserts missing operations
>>> and operation timeouts based on the RA metadata.
>>
>> Sometimes there are reasons for not defining some operations. I can't
quite
>> follow your logic. [My item 2) only applies to operations the user has
>> specified]
>
> Well, what would you want it to do?
>
> 1. Set timeouts for operations that are defined but don't have explicit
>    timeouts set?

I thought the cluster does not perform actions that are not defined in the
configuration (e.g. "monitor"). Maybe having some new magic tokens could help
here: A "global-default" would use the global default value, while a
"ra-default" would use the RA's default value, and all other values are set as
is. The default for all (not configured) operations would then be
"ra-default".

> 2. Set timeouts for any operations that have defaults in the RA
>    meta-data?
>
> What most people seem to expect is 2), but it sounds like what you are
> expecting is 1). Crmsh can't read minds, so it would have to pick one or
> the other.
>
> Another thing to consider is that if RA meta-data is preferred over the
> global default timeout, then the global default timeout wouldn't be used
> at all for operations that happen to have default timeouts in the
> meta-data. That seems surprising as well to me.

See my proposal above. ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich
P.S. Adding back the list for this discussion, assuming you sent a message to
the list that will arrive later
[...]