[ClusterLabs] Question about fence_mpath

Seth Reid sreid at vendini.com
Fri Apr 28 16:29:00 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Seth Reid <sreid at vendini.com> said:
> > I've had a similar problem. Make sure that the /dev/mapper object above
> > isn't a symlink. In my multiparth.conf, I had added an alias to a device
> > name, like that, to make it easier, but if I pointed my fencing at that,
> it
> > didn't work. However, I could point directly to the object that the
> symlink
> > pointed to, and it work. I actually had better luck not even specifying a
> > device at all. It found the right one.
>
> But the multipath devices are always symlinks - how do you access it?
> The only "real" devices are /dev/dm-<number>, but those names are not
> stable, so you can't use those for anything.

This confused me too when I set up my cluster. I found that everything
worked better if I didn't specify a device path. I think there was
documentation on Redhat that led me to try removing the "device" options.

Also thinking back, I'm using fence_scsi, but in a multipath environment.
Fence_scsi detected the shared device and everything worked very very
smoothly for me. I apologize for not realizing that I had used fence_scsi
(and not fence_mpath), but give it a shot removing the "device" options
from your stonith command.